Wednesday 20 October 2010

Monopoly Notebook

Here is one of my board game notebooks, this one from an old Monopoly board, which is surely familiar to most people if not everyone! I make notebooks out of all sorts of old board games, whatever I can make my hands on.

They have been popular so far, they're quite eye catching and there's a bit of the nostalgia factor with people remembering happy days playing board games with family or friends. Many of the boards have some small marks or knocks on them, but I think that is part of their charm - it shows they have been played and enjoyed. It is a shame they can't tell their own story, of how many different hands it has passed though, what arguments over who landed on whose property and so on. You can imagine though!


Where possible I source board games that are incomplete or battered, sometimes the boards are in pieces which is fine with me. If it's come to an end of its useful life as a game then I can give part of it a new lease of life as a notebook. Any spare bits and pieces I exchange with someone on ebay selling board game spares, so nothing goes to waste. See Kate's Folksy shop though for some book thongs made from old monopoly playing pieces!

Recently I've noticed on the high street some 'mock' upcycled notebooks, for instance notebooks of 'old' ladybird books, but newly manufactured rather than upcycled. To me these just aren't the same. There are so many old ladybirds books gathering dust in charity shops or falling apart and being thrown on skips that wasting materials on making new notebooks in factories in China just isn't the same. I'll be putting up some of my own properly upcycled ladybird books soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment